Monday, October 6, 2008

Scott Draves Dreams in High Fidelity

Dreams in High Fidelity screen shot by Scott Draves

Some people are working on a completely different wave length. Scott Draves is obviously immensely talented and smart. I don't even know how to describe his work by my art school vocabulary. I none the less find it incredibly interesting what he is doing, and am blown away by the fact that by giving away his imagery under a GPL Licensing, he invariably added to the language of design.

I think the important thing to get from an artists like Draper, is that he makes it a point to make his work on publicly available software, and gives it away. But yet he still seems to make a living. This defies or commodity based thinking. Watch the video below and you'll see that he is commissioned for installations b well known names (Google, MOMA). His "product" is not devalued by it's availablity.

I certainly am always in search of the correct format to make my work or ideas assesible wthout the confines of a subsription or fee. I also would ideally love to use the web as a distribution platform that could support me as a job. Artists like Draper give me hope in their unconventionality. Enjoy the video below.



Here's a link to his site.

No comments: